Poisoning – What to look out for and what to do in an emergency

POISONING

Common poisons in the home

Cleaning fluids
Dark Chocolate
Alcoholic drinks
Pain Killers
Potpourri oils
Fabric Softener
Recreational Drugs
Coffee grounds

Dogs are naturally curious animals; they smell – lick – taste items to increase their knowledge of the world in which they live. It is no unusual for dogs to suffer “upset stomachs” after they have ‘eaten something’.

In addition to the above items don’t forget your toilets, chemicals stored behind the bowl, chemicals put into the water, etc…..

Your gardens are not safe either; a compost heap can be deadly. Coffee grounds, onions, pips/stones from peaches / plums / apples / pears are toxic. Moulds, fungi & bacteria are also hazards.

The following plants are toxic to dogs……

• Jasmine
• Rhubard
• Wisteria
• Foxgloves
• Privet
• Tomato vines
• Azalea
• Ivy
• Yew
• Oleander
• Daffodil bulbs
• Laburnum
• Holly
• Clematis

In the garden, meadows, fields and woods. As a very rough guide, assume until proven otherwise that any plant with a white sap is poisonous

Signs and symptoms of poisoning can include:-

Dog is sick, produces excessive saliva, personality change, becomes drowsy, has convulsions, losses consciousness

Treatment

Non-corrosive = induce vomiting by give a washing soda crystal. To vet ASAP keep sick in plastic bag for vet. Take sample of poison if possible and safe.

Corrosive = DONOT induce vomiting give egg white, bicarbonate of soda, charcoal powder, olive oil or “sips” of milk. Wash ‘burnt’ areas with water. To vet ASAP.

Only induce vomiting if dog is alert, do not use salt to induce vomiting as you can cause salt poisoning.